CULINARY ARTS & PASTRY ARTS MARKETABLE SKILLS
• Communicate instructions clearly and effectively to staff so that customers’ orders
are prepared correctly.
• Budget food supplies, kitchen equipment, and appliances, based on estimates of future needs.
• Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keep track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
• Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
• Effectively execute standardized recipes using a strong cooking foundation and identify recipe shortcomings to follow-up with Chef/Manager.
• Efficiently plan and execute a kitchen work shift using standards of mise en place.
• Work with and through a kitchen brigade/chain of command.
• Convert, cost recipes, and create menu prices to achieve a food cost goal; understand and respect food cost control in kitchen environment.
• Control food waste by ensuring all purchased product is utilized.
• Work assigned tasks with hospitality sense-of-urgency and critical priority.
• Give full attention to what other people are saying, understand the points being made, and ask questions as appropriate.
• Apply multitasking skills, physically and mentally, to complete recipes and tasks at the same time.
• Instruct cooks and other workers in the proper use of all kitchen equipment following all safety protocols.
• Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes or menus, consider factors such as seasonal availability of ingredients or the likely number of customers.
Click here for Culinary Arts program and award information.
Click here for Pastry Arts program and award information.