SURGICAL ASSISTING MARKETABLE SKILLS
• Verify accuracy of patient information.
• Demonstrate knowledge of aseptic technique in relation to the procedure and the operating field.
• Position patients for treatment or examination.
• Operate diagnostic or therapeutic medical instruments or equipment safely.
• Prep and drape of the surgical site within surgeon’s guidelines.
• Assist in maintaining hemostasis by direct pressure, use and application of appropriate surgical instruments for the task, placement of ties and suture ligatures, application of chemical hemostatic agents, or use of electrocautery both monopolar and bipolar as directed by the surgeon.
• Clamp, ligate and cut tissue, per surgeon’s directive.
• Assist in placement and suturing of surgical drains.
• Perform closure of all wound layers (fascia, subcutaneous and skin) as per surgeon’s directive.
• Apply bandages, dressings, or splints.
• Communicate effectively and efficiently to direct the flow of surgical cases as required by the surgeon.
• Consistently perform all patient-centric duties ethically, responsibly, and conscientiously.
Click here for program and award information.