Collin College Distance Education and State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement


Collin College offers courses by distance education and participates in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA).  This means that Collin College may offer online courses to residents in states that are also SARA participants. 

Please be advised that certain programs offered online by Collin College that a) prepare students for licensure/professional certification, or b) incorporate internships, practicums, or other experiential requirements may trigger additional State Authorization requirements.  As a community college in Texas, Collin College works to ensure that its academic programs meet the educational requirements for licensure/professional certification in the state of Texas.  Check with appropriate licensing or professional organizations before you enroll in these types of programs to be sure that the Collin College course credits will be accepted in the state you intend to seek employment or licensure/professional certification within.  Information on whether Collin College has determined if its programs meet the educational requirements for licensure or professional certification in various states can be found on the Professional Licensure and Certification Disclosure page.


Complaints Regarding Distance Education Courses Offered by Collin College

Complaints against a SARA-participating institution must first go through the institution's own grievance procedures.  All complaints regarding student grades or conduct violations are governed by the institution and the laws of the institution's home state.


Complaint resolution for Collin College students enrolled in online courses while residing outside of Texas:

Step 1: Follow the appropriate Collin College Student Complaint Procedures on the Student Complaints web page.

Step 2: If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional grievance process, the student may appeal within two years of the incident to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's (THECB) Office of General Counsel.  A form is needed to initiate a complaint, and that form is available at


Complaints can be filed in one of three ways: 

a) by completing the online student complaint form and uploading the required supporting documentation in portable document format (pdf) using the process defined at:;

b) by email to; or

c) by mail to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Office of General Counsel, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711-2788. 


For more information about SARA student complaints, visit: